More about my Postpartum Doula services
Much has changed over the last few decades in terms of what we know about newborns, their primal need for attachment and how this helps with their brain development. Neuroscience now confirms what we always knew. Holding a baby and responding to their cries for comfort and care is instinctual for us as parents. Ignoring these cries and attempting to teach a baby to be independent when they lack the capacity to do so has detrimental effects.
My baby care is rooted in this knowledge and research. I teach parents how to understand their baby's cries and how to respond appropriately in order to establish emotional self regulation. Parents are the primary support for a newborn to learn how to regulate their own emotions through their parents' empathy and loving response. Parenting is much more than tending to physical needs. An infant's emotional needs for deep connection and contact are primal.
- Parent care - focus on rest & proper nutrition, postpartum health & wellness. My care ensures that you rest, shower, eat something and receive support with baby care.
- *Experienced care for a premature baby or with multiples; those recovering from Cesarean birth or experiencing postpartum depression
- Baby care - hands on support with practical baby care - diapering, bathing, burping, holding, swaddling, baby wearing, comforting & soothing techniques - the 5 S's
- Breastfeeding education - hands-on support during baby's nursing sessions to ensure optimal positioning and good drinking; resolve challenges; learn about night time nursing
- Baby Care education - making sense of your newborn's communications & behaviors; learning about empathic attunement and how to create connection with your newborn; understanding normal sleeping & eating patterns; recognizing developmental growth spurts
- Light Housekeeping - tidying up, baby laundry, light meal preparation
- Sibling care - ensure your other children are well taken care of - read a story, made a snack, enjoy some play time
- 'short notice' booking is possible. Call me if you need immediate help. I'll see what I can do.