More about My Birth Doula Service
Prenatal support/education -
I provide two private prenatal meetings in your home to get acquainted, explore your beliefs about birth, listen to concerns, address your fears, explain my role and clarify exactly what I provide. I ensure that you and your partner understand the physiology of normal birth. I listen to you both and we figure out what are your goals. Together we can create your Birth Vision. I share my experiential knowledge regarding the use of non-pharmacological comfort aids such as TENS, rebozo and acupressure for pain relief. You have access to my extensive library of resource materials including a collection of current evidence based research.
- unlimited phone, text and email support/check ins monthly
- 24/7 on-call period with assured back-up beginning at 38 weeks gestation through 42 weeks gestation
- referrals to local community health professionals who provide support to pregnant woman, ie. midwives, acupuncturists, chiro, yoga, massage therapists, naturopaths, physiotherapists, birth photographers
- childbirth preparation classes - privately or with The Childbearing Society
- prenatal classes - baby care prep, breastfeeding education, 'Making Sense of Baby' class, natural birth seminar
Labour and Birth -
- in touch by phone during the early birthing time to offer you suggestions for comfort measures, provide reassurance and answer questions
- once you want my support, I am with you continuously providing solid physical, emotional and informational support. Usually this is before you would go to the hospital and/or before your midwife arrives at your home during a home birth
- implementing the coping tools and comfort measures discussed during your pregnancy I will support you continuously throughout your labour and birth
- access to my comfort aids incl. TENS machine, rebozo, aromatherapy oils, etc... See My Doula Suitcase
- stay 2+ hours following birth (take photos, make food, enjoy a celebratory toast) until you and your family want quiet time
- breastfeeding support immediately after the birth once your baby shows signs of interest (I have extensive knowledge to help you initiate and establish correct nursing and provide tips on how to improve your experience)
- 'Hypno-Doula' support when using hypnosis for birthing, such as Hypno-Babies or Hypno-Birthing. I'm very experienced in both approaches and completed training from Jenn Lasek with Hypno-Babies.
- backup doulas I am in partnership with, who provide care in the rare instances it is needed (due to multiple birthing clients or illness)
Service area: I attend births in hospitals and at home. Hospitals include BC Women's, St. Paul's, Lion's Gate, Burnaby General and Royal Columbian in New Westminster. I live in Vancouver and travel to North and West Vancouver, Burnaby and New Westminster for home births as well as in Vancouver. If you are further afield I am available for planned home births (travel expenses extra).
- one extensive hands on postpartum visit (3-4 hours) to offer support with newborn care, provide breastfeeding support and answer your questions
- 2nd visit (2 hours) includes newborn care education, discussion about the birth if you wish and brings closure to our relationship
- telephone and email support continues up to three months after your baby has arrived
- provide list of local community resources and professional support for new parents, network with my other clients
- available to extend my postpartum support beyond the two visits should you need it (see Postpartum Doula service). I offer a pre-set package that includes birth service, postpartum care, breastfeeding support and infant care education.
- stay connected through my Facebook page for info on local parenting events and other resources for new families
I offer an Apprenticeship Doula Program with the aim of training aspiring doulas (who have completed a doula course). During this experiential training, students receive hands on support and guidance while attending births with me. I offer my experience and expertise and they bring their fresh perspective and enthusiasm. This approach to learning is vital for a doula's education. Through their apprenticeship with Dakini Doula they gain invaluable experience to apply toward building their own thriving practice. If you are interested in having an apprentice doula attend your birth, please indicate this on my contact form.
Satellite Doula Service (for remote and rural areas)
If you live in a remote or rural area and don't have access to birth doulas, this is a fantastic option! It's particularly beneficial for those situations when you aren't sure when to make that move to the hospital, or your partner isn't sure how else to support you, or you want to stay at home till in good active labour, before heading to the hospital, and/or when you are planning a home birth and the midwife won't arrive for hours still. Via Skype I provide my doula expertise and offer guidance and suggestions for comfort. Hourly rate applies. Contact me for details.