More about My Ecstatic Birth Doula Service
My support blends elements of the practical, emotional and intuitive. Together I establish with couples what's valuable and important for them, getting to the heart of how they envision their birth experience. Preparation, which includes an exploration into one's beliefs about birth, instills confidence. My clients approach birth with a very realistic understanding of what's needed, how they can step up and take responsibility for their experience. Giving birth is an act of love that affirms our innate capacity to draw upon inner wisdom and surrender deeply to embrace this transformative process.
Prenatal support/education -
I provide two private prenatal meetings in your home to get acquainted, explore your beliefs about birth, listen to concerns, address your fears, explain my role and clarify exactly what I provide. I ensure that you and your partner understand the physiology of normal birth. I listen to you both and we figure out what are your goals. Together we can create your Birth Vision. I share my experiential knowledge regarding the use of non-pharmacological aids such as TENS, rebozo, massage and acupressure for comfort and relaxation. You have access to my extensive library of resource materials including a collection of current evidence based research.
- unlimited phone, text and email support/check ins monthly
- 24/7 on-call period with assured back-up beginning at 37 weeks gestation through 42 weeks gestation
- referrals to local community health professionals who provide support to pregnant woman, ie. midwives, acupuncturists, chiro, yoga, massage therapists, naturopaths, physiotherapists, birth photographers
- childbirth preparation classes - privately or with The Childbearing Society
- prenatal classes - baby care prep, breastfeeding education, 'Making Sense of Baby' class, Ecstatic Birth Seminar, Home Birth Seminar
Labour and Birth -
- in touch by phone during the early birthing time to offer you suggestions for comfort measures, provide reassurance and answer questions
- once you want my support, I am with you continuously providing solid physical, emotional and informational support. Usually this is before you would go to the hospital and/or before your midwife arrives at your home during a home birth
- implementing the comfort measures discussed during your pregnancy I will support you continuously throughout your labour and birth
- access to my comfort aids incl. TENS machine, rebozo, aromatherapy oils, etc... See My Doula Suitcase
- stay 2+ hours following birth (take photos, make food, enjoy a celebratory toast) until you and your family want quiet time
- breastfeeding support immediately after the birth once your baby shows signs of interest (I have extensive knowledge to help you initiate and establish correct nursing and provide tips on how to improve your experience.)
- 'Hypno-Doula' support when using hypnosis for birthing, such as Hypno-Babies or Hypno-Birthing. I'm very experienced in both approaches and completed training from Jenn Lasek with Hypno-Babies.
- backup doulas I am in partnership with, who provide care in the rare instances it is needed (due to multiple birthing clients or illness)
Service area: I attend births in hospitals and at home. Hospitals include BC Women's, St. Paul's, Lion's Gate, Burnaby General and Royal Columbian. If you are further afield I am available for planned home births (travel expenses extra) and/or shared care with another doula.
- one extensive hands on postpartum visit (3-4 hours) to offer support with newborn care, provide breastfeeding support and answer your questions
- 2nd visit (2 hours) includes newborn care education, discussion about the birth if you wish and brings closure to our relationship
- telephone and email support continues up to three months after your baby has arrived
- provide list of local community resources and professional support for new parents, network with my other clients
- available to extend my postpartum support beyond the two visits should you need it (see Postpartum Doula service). I offer a pre-set package that includes birth service, postpartum care, breastfeeding support and infant care education.
I offer an Apprenticeship Doula Program with the aim of training aspiring doulas (who have completed a doula course). During this experiential training, students receive hands on support and guidance while attending births with me. I offer my experience and expertise and they bring their fresh perspective and enthusiasm. This approach to learning is vital for a doula's education. Through their apprenticeship with Dakini Doula they gain invaluable experience to apply toward building their own thriving practice. If you are interested in having an apprentice doula attend your birth, please indicate this on my contact form.